Being the Best at Your Worst
You're not training to be the best in the world. You're training to be the best in the world on your worst day. - Ronda Rousey
As 2013 closed, I thought about the events of the year. I looked for themes, lessons I needed to learn. Lessons that would make 2014 better than 2013.
This quote from Rhonda Rousey stood out as a top quote from 2013. I heard it while watching Season 18 of The Ultimate Fighter.
This quote speaks to three things - dedication, consistency, and training. As good quotes do, this one forced me to ask some probing questions:
- Will you have the hard conversations?
- Will you stick around when relationships get tough?
- Will you say, 'No' to things that pull you away from your mission?
- Are you the same person when things are going well as you are when things are difficult?
- What are you doing to train for life?
- What steps are you taking to be consistent in the best and worst moments of your life?
- What are you doing to develop your character?
'After Earth' wasn't the greatest movie in the world. The idea of 'taking a knee' to focus and figure out what you need to do next was pretty cool. It should be, the U.S. Army Rangers have been doing it for decades. I think a good step for me to develop in my dedication, consistency, and training is to make 'taking a knee' a regular habit as the events of 2014 throw themselves at me faster than I'd like.
What was your favorite quote from 2013?